The history of Liberton Golf Club
On 9th June 1914 over eighty people assembled in a classroom at the village school in Liberton to discuss proposals to set up a 9 hole golf course and to form a club for residents in the Liberton area. The committee looked around for suitable land and decided to approach Colonel Gordon Gilmore with a supporting declaration signed by 105 people. The committee asked the Colonel if he would lease circa 60 acres of parkland at Kingston Grange which was agreed to in principle.
Unfortunately four days later World War I broke out and it took a further six years before the nine hole course was officially opened on the 19th June 1920 with Mr James Welsh being the first Captain of Liberton Golf Club. At the Clubs inaugural meeting held four months earlier it was agreed that both gents and ladies would have equal rights. This departed at that time from tradition but, the war had brought a change in attitude. Liberton Golf Club remains an equal rights club.
Entrance to the course was by a gate located at the present day 10th green and the erection of two huts inside the gate provided members with lockers and a clubhouse. Two years later the much grander premises of Kingston Grange were acquired for use by members as a clubhouse.
The 9 hole course, covering 52 acres, was quickly extended to 12 holes after the tenant of Kingston Grange, having had six acres of land fenced off for privacy, agreed that golf could be played within that area. In May of 1923 the further extended 18 hole course was opened and is basically the same as it is today.
Some significant changes to the course have occurred over the years with the removal of the market garden and cottage and formation of the current 13th hole being the most significant. The sequence of play has changed many times with the original 18 hole course having its first hole as the present 8th hole, a par 3. Played originally as an outer ring first nine holes then an inner ring the sequence was changed firstly to eliminate the par 3 start and then to have a mixture of the two circuits thereby resulting in essentially the current format.
Further changes were essential due to the reduction of the 6th hole from a par 4 to a par 3 and the creation of the current 7th hole from what was two par 3’s which was required due to what would have meant a run of four par 3’s. Further more recent changes have been made to a number of tees, in particular the 3rd and 14th, to provide more length to the course.